Fire Retardant Absorbant Breathable Wall Underlay. Is a white composite Non-Woven polypropylene, specifically designed as a Wall Underlay behind exterior wall claddings. Steelwrap 290 offers a high degree of water resistance, with a high level of water vapour permeability, and is ideally suited for use on steel framed buildings.
Can be used as a wall Underlay on timber and steel framed buildings with absorbent and non-absorbent wall claddings direct fixed to framing. Can be used a Wall Underlay in a drained cavity. Can be used as an air barrier where walls are not lined (attic spaces, gable ends). Suitable up to and including "very high". Building Wind Zones of NZS 3604. Unaffected by LOSP Timber.
Scope of use
Steelwrasp 290 is a Fire Retardant Absorbent Breathable Composite Non Woven Wall Underlay can be used as a wall underlay on timber and steel framed buildings within the following scope:
• the scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Paragraph 1.1; and,
• with absorbent wall and non-absorbent wall claddings directly fixed to framing; and,
• with absorbent and non-absorbent wall claddings installed over an 18mm minimum drained cavity; and
• with masonry veneer in accordance with NZS 3604; and,
• situated in NZS3604 Building Wind Zones up to, and including ‘Very High as a standalone flexible underlay and Extra High wind zone when used in conjunction with a rigid underlay’.
Fire Retardant Absorbent Breathable Composite Non Woven Wall Underlay can be used as a wall underlay on timber framed buildings within the following scope:
New Zealand Building Code (NZBC)
The product will, if employed in accordance with the supplier's installation and maintenance requirements, assist with meeting the following provisions of the building code:
- Clause B2 Durability: Performance B2.3.1(a), B2.3.1(b), B2.3.2
- Clause E2 External moisture: Performance E2.3.2
- Clause F2 Hazardous building materials: Performance F2.3.1
The product has and can make available the following additional evidence to support the above statements:
- Can be used as a wall underlay on timber and steel framed buildings with absorbent and non-absorbent wall claddings direct fixed to framing.
- Can be used as a wall underlay on timber and steel framed buildings with absorbent and non-absorbent wall claddings installed over an 18mm minimum drained cavity.
- Note: must not be used as a roof underlay
- Can be used as an air barrier where walls are not lined e.g attic spaces at gable ends, and is suitable for use in all Building Wind Zones of NZS3604 up to, and including ‘Very High’.
- Has an AS1530: Part 2 Flammability Index of <5 and meets the requirements of NZBC Acceptable Solution C/AS1 Part 6 Table 6.2 surface finish requirements for suspended flexible fabrics.
290 must be fixed with printed side to the exterior. Must be applied to all
exterior walls from below bearers to the top plate. Fix securely to the frame
with fasteners such as galvanized Little Grippers, 6mm-8mm staples or 20mm
large head galvanized clouts at 300mm centres horizontally and vertically.
When fixing underlay to Steel framing the same procedures
applies, use adhesive spray or tape or flat head screws to fasten to the
framing,the exterior cladding fastenings will act as the permanent fixings.
Additional fasteners should be used around each opening to be
cut out. If using either 2740mm or 1370mm width, a minimum of150mm lap is
required at joins and all vertical laps must be made over studs. Make good
repairs on any forced tears with White GP Tape.. Initially, cover all windows
and door openings It is recommended that the wall underlay is not cut and
prepared for window installation until the arrival of the windows.
No regular maintenance required.
Watergate plus has no known negative environment conditions
Watergate has no VOCs in manufacture installation or use
Watergate plus is recyclable at end of life with no harmful residue